Posted on: 12 June 2015
When you decide to eat healthier, you have to sometimes give up some of your favorite foods. Fortunately, Mexican foods are not one of them. Here are some tips for making smarter and healthier choices at your favorite Mexican restaurant.
- Limit the chips. Chips and salsa is a great appetizer, but they can also be packed with calories. Grab a handful of the chips to eat and skip the rest. If you are able to, skip the chips altogether to avoid the extra calories.
- Choose the bowl instead. A burrito can be packed with all sorts of goodness and also heavy calories. To limit your caloric intake, opt for the bowl instead. Not only are you losing the calories from the tortilla, but you also have more control over what you are eating.
- Try the black beans. Although refried beans are commonly served in Mexican food restaurants, they are not always the best choice for your diet. Instead of refried beans, ask for black beans, which are lighter in calories and just as filling.
- Go for the soft shell. If passing up the tacos is not in your heart, choose the soft tacos over the hard ones. Hard tacos have shells that have been deep fried.
- Rely on veggies for the base. Taco salads are a popular menu item and they also have a deep fried shell. To help keep the calories down, skip the shell and rely on your veggies for the salad.
- Watch what you drink. It is probably tempting to have an alcoholic beverage with your food, but the drinks are packed with calories and sugar. Drinking water is your best option. However, if you want to have a drink, opt for the light beer.
- Swap the quesadilla for a fajita. Quesadillas are loaded with meat and cheese and cooked in oil. All of that adds up to a fatty meal for you. If you choose the fajita instead, you will have more control over what is in your food.
- Choose the grilled meats. Most Mexican restaurants offer an alternative to the fried foods you love. Ask for grilled meats instead to reduce your fat intake.
Eating out at a Mexican restaurant is a treat that most people would not want to give up. Fortunately, by using these tips, you do not have to worry about finding a substitute for Taco Tuesday at your favorite Mexican restaurant, such as La Cabana Mexican Restaurant.Share